Taking care of your teeth will ensure that you will get to enjoy healthy, beautiful smiles for a long time. When you practice proper oral hygiene and go to regular dental check-ups with your dentist, you greatly reduce the risk of developing dental problems. One of the most common dental problems that can be avoided with proper oral care is dental cavities.
The bacteria present inside the mouth can interact with the sugars on food particles left after meals. If the plaque is left on teeth surfaces, they can lead to the breakdown of the tooth enamel, causing cavities to form. Without proper and early treatment, these cavities can become larger, and can even lead to irreparable damage of the entire tooth. With proper oral health care and changing of some habits, you can avoid the problems caused by dental cavities.
How do you avoid cavities?
- Brush your teeth regularly and properly to remove food pieces inside the mouth
- Avoid heavy consumption of sugary drinks and food items
- Avoid prolonged exposure to acidic food and beverages
- Drink water after consuming high-sugar and high-acidity food and drinks
- Use dental floss to clean the area between the teeth and gum line
- Use toothpaste with fluoride to give your teeth extra protection from cavities
- Go for regular dental check-ups
- Ask your dentist about the use of dental sealants, especially if you have a high risk of developing dental cavities